Purpose and Scope: The piping estimator works collaboratively with other estimators, project managers, designers and engineers as well as outside vendors and owners to review drawings and job specifications for the purpose of compiling comprehensive pricing for all design/build and plan/spec jobs. Additionally, the estimator will provide in-house support for project startups.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work seamlessly and collaboratively with sheet metal estimator and other BBI staff.
- Assist in selecting jobs to bid.
- Provide material and labor estimates for jobs.
- Compile quotes.
- Assist with all bid day activities.
- Assist with ordering and returning plans.
- Assist in completing the budget book.
- Set up jobs for accounting purposes as requested or required.
- Maintain and keep current the plumbing estimator (currently Maxwell Systems Estimation™) program.
- Research and recommend procedures in the continuous improvement of the estimating process.
- Collaborate with owners, vendors, job superintendents, project managers, engineers and others as needed.
- Assist Piping Operations Manager, HVAC Operations Manager and Project Manager as needed for project start-ups. This includes but is not limited to, ordering rough materials and plumbing fixtures and equipment. Process submittals as needed.
- Draft and design plumbing systems.
- Assist when needed with drafting and/or pricing service department projects as time allows.
- Education and Training: Basic computer knowledge is necessary. Training and knowledge specific to the plumbing/piping estimating (Maxwell Systems™) software and AutoCAD software is necessary.
- Technical Requirements: Knowledge of HVAC and Plumbing systems is necessary. Must be able to read and understand blueprints and drawings.
- Experience: Prior field and drafting experience is helpful. Effective communication skills are necessary. A background and understanding of applied mathematical calculations is helpful. Minimum of five years estimating experience required.
- Must be able to perform basic tasks consistent with an office environment including but not limited to sitting at a desk for long periods of time, bending, crouching or kneeling to access files from ground level to 4.5 feet above the ground, pushing/pulling of file drawers, reaching in all directions and working at a computer and/or telephone for prolonged periods of time.
- The following capabilities are required but not limited to: able to see for purposes of reading instructions, labels and other printed matter;
- Ability to operate computer hardware and peripheral devices; able to hear and understand speech at normal levels in person and/or on the telephone;
- able to communicate verbally so others will be able to clearly understand a normal conversation in person and/or on the telephone.